Thursday, July 9, 2009

COMMENTARY: Here Comes The Rain Again...

We are a little spoiled in Colorado Springs with our average of 300 days of sunshine per year. This year has been tough on us with day after day of clouds and rain. Our lawns our happy, and so are our water bills, but are we?

If I go too long without the sun, I start to feel groggy and depressed. The sun is a lifeline to…well…life, if you will. The bright sunshine in the morning helps us wake up. The warmth of the sun gives us comfort and a sense of fullness. The constant motion of the sun in the sky helps us track our progress for the day. The shadows tell us it’s time to hurry up because the end of the day is drawing near.

But when the clouds roll in and just stay and stay and stay, everything feels a little…off. It’s more difficult to get out of bed in the morning. It’s impossible to know what time it is without referring to some kind of electronic device. There’s no sense of movement or warmth.

How do the people of Seattle survive with their average 43 days of sunshine per year? I don’t know. Really. I don’t have a clue. I went to Seattle once. I was there for five days; no sunshine at all for five days. I was unbelievably ready to leave by the end of those very long five days (let me make myself clear….I was actually ready to leave BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY at that point).

There is a mood disorder called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), related to the changing of seasons. People who have been diagnosed with this disorder become depressed most commonly during the winter (in fact, many people know the disorder by the name “winter blues”) and occasionally during other seasons of the year. Believe me, I can relate! There is something to be said for the healing power of the sun.

And yeah, I am grateful we are not in a drought and I am grateful my garden is getting lots of water; but really, can’t the sun just come out and play for awhile?

No comments:

Post a Comment