Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: "Closing Costs"

Closing Costs
By Seth Margolis
Copyright 2006
St. Martins Press
Adult Fiction
3 Bookmarks

In my "real" life, I'm a Realtor. And so when I'm choosing which novel to snatch up off the library shelf and I see a real estate phrase like Closing Costs in a book title, I'm immediately intrigued. I thought perhaps this would be a book highlighting all the wonderful things about my chosen profession. But then again, perhaps not.

In reality, Closing Costs is a novel about several Manhattan area citizens who are dealing with real estate concerns: the older couple looking to downsize, the younger couple with new baby twins who are overflowing their rent-controlled one bedroom studio, the superbly rich socialite whose husband flees the country after he's accused of embezzlement leaving her homeless after the feds seize her mansion, etc. And what do all these fine folks have in common? One hardcore illustrious real estate legend named Lucinda Wells.

Lucinda wafts into and out of the lives of the characters in this book with a sneer down her nose and an air of indifference at their situation, and yet somehow manages to completely influence the decisions of those she comes in contact with.

These, and many other characters within the pages of this book make it an interesting read. The story jumps from one set of people in fine circumstance to another. Some characters were definitely more believable than others, but the story kept me interested and reading along. Not the best book I've ever read, but not the worst either. Sort of a middle of the road read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment