Tuesday, January 8, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: "1984"

1984
By George Orwell
Copyright 1948
Harcourt Brace and Co.
Classic Literature
2 Bookmarks

You know how sometimes everyone knows something you don't?  And they mention it, not really enough to tell you much about it, but just enough to remind you that you know nothing about it? 

For me, that's "1984".  I've heard references to it pretty much my whole life, but never had the opportunity (or requirement) to read it for some reason and never really knew the story. 

Yeah okay so I kind of knew the gist of it.  You know, big brother watching you all the time, etc.  But I didn't really think it was going to be so dark and icky.  And frankly, that's what it was. 

Having the telescreen in your house watching every move you make, no privacy (even of thoughts), no choices, no loved ones, no sex (WHAT????), it was all just a bit overwhelming.  And then on top of that, the constant brainwashing to avoid any "wrong" thoughts from appearing on your face. 

It was quite disturbing.

Which, I guess, is the whole point. 

I actually didn't mind the first two-thirds of the book so much, as the main character kind of wrestles with his inappropriate thoughts.  But once they "catch" him and he gets locked up and tortured, I was done. 

I know, I know.  The whole point of the book is to warn us of what the world could come to if we let those in power to continue allowing their power to grow.  I get that.  I really do.  I just didn't really care for the story.

If it isn't a requirement for English class, I don't recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment