Friday, May 18, 2012

COMMENTARY: "Pretending"

So this past week I had the opportunity to spend a few days in a city I don’t get to visit nearly often enough. That's right! 

                         VEGAS, BABY!


While there, I was able to dress a little differently than I normally do:

I ate at fancy restaurants, saw fun shows, and enjoyed unbelievable art:

Oh yeah, and I even got to “relax”.

In short, I was playing "make-believe"; pretending to be someone I am not.

Pretending to be a party girl. Pretending to have a lot of spare cash floating around. Pretending to not have a care in the world.  Pretending to be MUCH younger than I actually am.  Pretending to be the center of attention.  Pretending to be a whole lot of things (I can't share the photo of me with the Thunder From Down Under but believe me, it was epic!)

It’s not that I don’t like that person I was pretending to be (in fact, I kind of love her!), it’s just that that person doesn’t really fit in with my normal day-to-day existence. In my “real” life, I can’t go dancing every night and I can’t eat at five-star restaurants. I can’t spend entire days lazing away by a pool after sleeping in until Noon (frankly, in Colorado there are only a handful of days even warm enough to go to a pool….). And relaxing?  Hahaha!  In real life, I don’t know the meaning of the word.  

Instead, in the “real” world, I wake every morning and do all the things a normal person does (including sitting down at the end of the day to play my Scrabble and Words with Friends games), drop off to sleep, then do it all over again.

My daughter missed me while I was gone. 
And I missed her. 

I love my life. I love my family. I love my work. But it’s sometimes just a little too "real". And I kinda like playing make believe. I like being that “other” girl. 


Wait a minute.......



Actually,

Now that I think about it......




Maybe I’m just pretending to be a civilized businesswoman..... wife.....  mother...... and productive member of society.

When actually,







I really am a party girl........




(Even if only for just a few days a year.)



No comments:

Post a Comment