Wednesday, August 6, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: "Home to Woefield"

Home to Woefield
By Susan Juby
Copyright 2011
HarperCollins Publishers
Adult Fiction
3 Bookmarks

Has it really been so long since I've posted a new review?  Sheesh.  Time flies. 

On to the review.  Home to Woefield is a story about a young(ish) city girl who finds out she has inherited an old farm from a distant relative.  She jumps at the chance to go live at the farm and make a go of it.

When she arrives at the farm, however, she finds that things aren't exactly as she'd hoped.  With a falling down house, one sheep, and not much actual farming to speak of,  Prudence still doesn't give up.  Making due with what she has and trying to come up with creative ways to save the farm result in a somewhat entertaining read.

In typical fiction format, Prudence brings together a band of misfits to help her cause.  A crotchety old man, a know-it-all kid who raises chickens, and an alcoholic 20-something neighbor are the main cast of characters. 

With the farm on the line, Prudence pulls out all the stops and....well, I wouldn't want to spoil it so I won't tell you how it ends.

As expected, this wasn't a very deep or meaningful story that makes for a good discussion (actually, I haven't read one of those in awhile, but I hope to be able to soon).  But it was a fun and quick read and had some entertaining moments. 

I don't think I would really recommend this for a book club or anything like that.  More of a "sit on the beach and listen to the waves coming in while you relax" kind of read. 

Truly, I need to find something a little more meaningful to make me think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment