Sunday, January 15, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: "This Side of Paradise"

This Side of Paradise
By F. Scott Fitzgerald
Copyright 1996
Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Adult Fiction
2.5 Bookmarks

So I had worked my way completely through my stack of library books and had to resort to my own bookshelves for a book to read.  I saw This Side of Paradise, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and realized I hadn't read it in a really long time.  So long, in fact, that I couldn't really remember what it was about.  So I pulled it off the shelf and started reading.

This is the story of Amory Blaine, a privileged youth making his way into adulthood.  The story follows Amory through his college days, a trip to "the war", and aimless wanderings through the world as he tries to find his way.  It is by the same author as The Great Gatsby, and the story followings a similar, meandering track as that classic. 

There were some parts of the book that were interesting, especially when Amory discovers a girl he likes.  But when that little flirtation ends badly, Amory turns into a sort of purposeless person and ends up in a lot of strange situations that don't really make him any better for it. 

I suppose my biggest criticism of the book is just the constant wandering of the story without rhyme or reason as to WHY.  Of course Fitzgerald is a "good" writer, and I never felt the desire to set the book down, but it's just not a good enough book for me to want to pull it off that shelf again anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment